Project Management Course: The Complete Guide
Project Management. Take the lead.
Qualified project managers are in high demand in Australia. The skilled migration list ranks accredited project managers at the top of its in-demand list. Manage projects the smart way with Project Management courses at CCE, The University of Sydney.
This intensive project management course provides a professional coverage of all the topics in A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), designed for those who currently work as full-time project managers, or have prior experience of project management methodology.
For those seeking formal certification, this project management course partially satisfies the training requirements for candidates for the PMP qualification and all the underlying knowledge requirements for the The Australian Institute of Project Management’s (AIPM) CPPM certification. For those seeking Professional Development Units (PDUs) for Project Management Institute accreditation, reference codes will be provided to participants at the completion of this course.
This project management course covers the activities in each of the 5 processes of Project Management (PM), namely Initialising, Planning, Executing, Controlling and Closing. You will learn how to:
- Clearly define scope, and manage changes to it.
- Develop a realistic schedule which meets the project owners constraints.
- Prepare a plan, understand its purpose and why it comprises more than just a schedule.
- Identify the project’s quality objectives and implement appropriate controls to ensure they are achieved.
- Develop status reports which reflect reality.
- Identify and continually manage risks which could de-rail your project.
- Manage stakeholders to ensure they remain committed to and involved with the project.
- Control external groups on which the project is dependent.
- Ensure they obtain the appropriate resources for the project which will raise confidence in achieving the goals.
- Build effective teams which are committed to the project goals.
- Evaluate performance of the team.
- Estimate and control project budgets.
- Accrue 21 PDU’s towards retaining PMP credential.
PDUs are valid for:
- 6 years for those seeking accreditation for the first time.
- 3 years for those seeking to renew accreditation.
As well as providing a sound grounding in Project Management principles, this project management course encourages the participants to consider how effective Project Managers behave and to adopt these models on their projects.
This project management course covers the following topics:
- Project Management course format
- Case study
- Review some basic Project Management concepts
- Selection of projects
- Business cases
- Project approvals
- Overall Project Plan
- Integrated change control
- Executing the plan
- Work allocation
- Project closure
- A brief review of tools which can be used to assist in running projects
- Scheduling, risk, change and issue management and new developments
- Gathering project requirements
- Defining and verifying scope
- Using Work Breakdown Structures (WBS)
- Controlling changes to scope
- Defining and sequencing project activities (using the WBS and network diagrams)
- Estimating effort
- Three point estimates
- Schedule development and control
- Critical path
- Fast tracking
- Deriving budgets and monitoring performance against them
- Earned value analysis
- Identifying and managing risk and opportunities
- How we manage customer satisfaction by ensuring quality of deliverables – quality planning, quality assurance (QA) and quality control (QC)
- Planning for, selecting and sourcing supply of goods and services from external vendors
- Contract administration issues
Human Resource Management
- Project Management competency model
- Training issues
- Performance agreements
- Project organisation models
- Project staffing plans video
- Project Management competencies and behaviours on the job
- Stakeholder management
- Status reporting
- Information dissemination, both within team and outside to stakeholders
- Correcting variances to plan
- Lessons learned reporting
- A brief guide to the major professional responsibilities of a project manager in the workplace and the ethical conflicts that can arise from this role
This project management course is designed for those who manage projects on a full time basis and whose projects involve the need for more formal approaches to managing, including projects in which there are significant external dependencies to be controlled.
This course makes references to the features of planning tools such as Microsoft Project but it does not teach participants how to use it. The material covered in the course outlines the process for collecting the data to drive such tools. Please see our course Microsoft Project Course: Managing Projects for a complete guide to using Microsoft Project for effective project management.
Recognition Based on this Material
This course is presented by the course developers, Project Managers Network Pty Ltd, who are a Recognised Eduction Provider for the US Project Management Institute and a course provider for the Australian Institute of Project Management.
No specific pre-course reading is required. However, some of the material has been taken from the book A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) published by the Project Management Institute. The content of this book has also been used by the Australian Government as the basis for National Competency Standards for Project Management. You will be provided with your own copy of the PMBOK® Guide at your course, for you to keep.
- Expert trainers
- Central locations
- Small class sizes
- Free, expert advice
- Student materials – yours to keep
- Certificate of completion
What others say.
The course was a thorough overview and very well structured with practical examples to test your understanding of tools, techniques and processes. It was a small enough group to feel engaged with question time and for valuable group discussion. The tutor was very knowledgeable with many years experience and very interesting to listen to.
A great teacher who provided real world insight and managed to tie it into everybody’s professions. It was a great style of course with small class numbers which really made a difference when compared to other courses. Materials provided were great and the complete guide was a valued investment of time.
Great course, I have learnt a lot and feel inspired to continue my education in project management.
I found talking through examples and tips based on previous experiences really helpful in working out how the theory is applied to real situations.
The presenter is a great educator, explaining things in easy to understand terms and the real world experience brought significant value to the course. It is a very intensive course with lots of information that needs to be presented in a relatively short amount of time.
The tutor is excellent in the way the share their experience with us, being passionate and knowledgeable about project management. The course has been very practical for us not only as individual project managers, but we believe the areas we’ve learnt about will benefit our company greatly too.
Great course, well structured, a great instructor, great mix of relevant case studies from the tutor’s experience and theory.
A very comprehensive course which provides a robust framework for Project Management.
The presenter is a very professional and experienced project manager who provided valuable insights on how to deliver a successful project. I am keen to apply these learnings to develop my own project management practices.
Very knowledgeable and provided a reasonable amount of real life experiences which identified with the content. Would highly recommend to any person interested in Project Management.
A very professional and educational course for Project Management which covered all aspects.
I found this course comprehensive, clear and detailed. It is fast-paced, so prior exposure to project management is required. I would highly recommend this course for anyone involved with projects in their work and not just for project managers studying for the PMBOK exam. As an experienced R&D/Product Development engineer I found this course of particular interest and regret not having access to the PMBOK guide much earlier in my career. All engineers must familiarise themselves at least with this guide, if not this course.
For me, this course brought ordered context to much of what we do in our business. Three days of lecturing was well supported with the presenter’s real life experience. Good to see that the presenter was happy to add a few extra minutes towards the exam, and noting that there is a course available to prepare candidates for the formal qualification.
Very intensive and extensive course, The tutor did a tremendous job and made sure to cover all aspects of this extensive course.
The tutor is very experienced in project management. Their warm and friendly personality adds a nice touch to this intensive course.