Our terms and policies. Your agreement with us.
Thanks for taking the time to learn about our legal policies. This is where you’ll find information about how we protect your privacy, what you can and can’t do, and how we handle your account with us. If you still have questions after reading them, please contact us.
The site at cce.sydney.edu.au ("Site") is a website where you can browse, select and apply to enrol in courses conducted by The University of Sydney (ABN 15 211 513 464) ("we", "us" or "our") at Centre for Continuing Education ("Centre"), and order incidental products and services from us.
The terms and conditions set out in this document ("Terms") govern your access to, and use of, the Site, as well as any application for enrolment, or order of products or services, you lodge through the Site or over the telephone by calling 02 8999 9608 or by completing and sending an application form by post or fax or by enrolling in person.
We may vary these Terms, for any reason, at any time and without notice.
If you browse the Site, or proceed with an enrolment application or order to purchase products or services (whether through the Site or by telephone, post, fax or in person), you are deemed to have accepted the Terms and agreed to comply at all times, including during your enrolment (if any) with all applicable laws in connection with the use of the Site, and your application or order, and with our by-laws, rules, policies and procedures, and that you are responsible for informing yourself of the requirements applicable to you under such by-laws, rules, policies and procedures available here.
Applying for a course and ordering a product or service
We invite you to apply to enrol in a course, or order a product or service, by selecting and submitting your application or order through the Site or by telephone, post, fax or in person. Any application or order placed through this Site or by telephone, post, fax or in person is an offer by you to enrol in a course or purchase a product or service at the relevant price notified on the Site at the time of your application or order, and you acknowledge that the Terms apply to any such offer.
We may ask you to provide additional information to enable us to process your application or order. You agree to provide us with current, complete and accurate details throughout the enrolment or order process.
Students must be at be at least 18 years of age at the time of application unless otherwise stated in the course outline.
Acceptance, rejection and withdrawal by us
We may accept or reject an application for a course or order for products or services at any time before we give you notice of acceptance or rejection, and in our absolute discretion.
If we accept your application or order, we will provide you with an email confirmation of that acceptance (which may be conditional) and a binding agreement between you and us shall come into existence when we provide such confirmation. For each application or order we accept, we agree to enrol you in the relevant course or supply the relevant product or service to you, in accordance with the Terms.
We reserve the right to reject your application or order for any reason, including if a course is already full or a product or service are not currently available. If we reject an application or order, we will endeavour to notify you of that rejection within a reasonable time after you submit your application or order. If we have already received your payment, we will return, or refund in full, your payment promptly after our rejection notification.
We reserve the right to withdraw a course, product or service at any time and for any reason. If the withdrawal occurs after we have received your application or order, but before our acceptance or rejection, we will endeavour to notify you of the withdrawal as soon as practicable. If we have already received your payment, we will either offer you a credit note, or, at your request, return, or refund in full, your payment, promptly after our withdrawal notification.
Cancellation by us
At any time after we have accepted your enrolment application or order for products or services, we may cancel your enrolment, your order or the relevant course, for any reason. If we cancel, we will endeavour to notify you as soon as practicable. You agree that our liability to you as a result of our cancellation by us is capped at the amount paid by you to us in respect of the cancelled course, product or service.
Cancellation of course before commencement
If we cancel the course on or before its scheduled commencement date, we will cancel your enrolment. If we have already received your payment, we will promptly either offer you a credit note, or, at your request, return, or refund in full, your payment.
Cancellation of course after commencement
If we cancel the course after its scheduled commencement date because we are no longer able to conduct the course for reasons beyond our reasonable control, including a venue or teacher becoming unavailable, or for any other reason, we will cancel your enrolment. If we have already received your payment, we may, in our absolute discretion, give you a credit note (in whole or in part) depending on the circumstances of the cancellation, unless we are required by law to give you a refund.
Cancellation of enrolment before commencement of course
If, on or before the scheduled commencement date of the course, we cancel your enrolment (but not the course) for any reason (in our absolute discretion), we will promptly either offer you a credit note, or, at your request, return, or refund in full, your payment.
Cancellation of enrolment after commencement of course
If, after the scheduled commencement date of the course, we cancel your enrolment (but not the course) for any reason (in our absolute discretion) and we have already received your payment, we may, in our absolute discretion, give you a credit note (in whole or in part) depending on the circumstances of the cancellation, unless we are required by law to give you a refund.
Cancellation of product or service order
We reserve the right to cancel a product or service order for any reason and at any time after our acceptance. We will endeavour to notify you of the cancellation as soon as practicable. If we have already received your payment, we may, in our absolute discretion, give you a credit note (in whole or in part) depending on the circumstances of the cancellation, unless we are required by law to give you a refund.
Cancellation of enrolment or order by you
A minimum of 5 full business days prior to the commencement of your course is required to cancel or reschedule your booked course to receive a credit note. We will withhold an administrative charge of not less than $50.00 from the amount of the credit value. If you cancel for any reason with less than 5 business days prior to the commencement of your course, there will be no refund or credit note.
If you cancel your enrolment or order within 24 hours of your purchase, we will refund the fees in full.
Failure to attend a course
If you fail to attend your scheduled class, the course fee is not refundable nor will a credit note be provided.
If you fail to attend your scheduled class due to illness and provide a medical certificate within 24 hours, we can reschedule it and you will incur a rescheduling fee of 50% of the full fee for that course.
Fees and charges
We will charge you, and you agree to pay, the purchase price of the course you apply for, or product or service you order, as advertised on the Site at the time of your application or order, and any other fees and charges set out in these Terms.
All fees and charges identified in these Terms and all prices for the courses, products and services include GST where applicable.
We may vary prices for courses, products and services from time to time without notice. Subject to these Terms, we will not increase the amount payable by you for the relevant courses, products, services once we have accepted your application or order.
We accept the following methods for the payment of amounts payable to us in respect of courses, products and services:
- American Express
- Cash (for enrolments in person only)
- Cheque (for enrolments by post or in person only)
- EFTPOS (for enrolments in person only)
- Electronic bank transfer (by prior agreement only)
For payments by MasterCard, Visa, American Express or EFTPOS, you authorise us to debit the amount that is payable for your application or order from your nominated card account.
If we are unable to successfully process your card payment, or obtain payment pursuant to a cheque or money order, or receive payment by electronic bank transfer then we may cancel your order or application and we will endeavour to notify you.
You must not pay, or attempt to pay, for courses, products or services through any fraudulent or unlawful means.
We will provide you with a receipt promptly after we receive your application or order which specifies the total fees and charges for the courses, products and services.
This agreement is governed by the laws of New South Wales, Australia. Each party submits to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of that place.
Acceptable Use Policy
The actions individual users take can potentially have a big impact on our systems as a whole. That’s why all users must follow this Acceptable Use Policy. If you violate this policy, we may suspend or terminate your access.
Your access to and use of the Site, including your order of Services through the Site, is subject to these terms and conditions. You agree to bound by, and comply with, these terms and conditions by browsing the Site.
The Site may contain links to external websites that are not operated by us or our related bodies. These links are provided for your convenience only and:
- we make no representations or warranties, or have any responsibility or liability for those websites; and,
- these links do not indicate, expressly or implied, that we endorse the site or the products or services that are provided at those websites.
If you register an account with us, you may not have more than one active account, and your account is non-transferable. You may update or edit your account at any time through the Site.
If you choose to use a workplace email address for your account or workplace facilities to access the Site, then you are solely responsible for ensuring that you comply with the rules, policies or protocols that apply to the use of your email address and your workplace facilities.
You may not:
- use the Site for any activities that breach any laws, infringe a third party’s rights or are contrary to any relevant standards or codes, including, but not limited to breaches of the Copyright Act 1968 (Cwlth);
- use the Site in a manner or way, or post to or transmit to or via the Site, any material which interferes with other users or our other customers or defames, harasses, threatens, menaces or offends any person or which prevents any other person from using or enjoying the Site;
- make fraudulent or speculative enquiries, purchases or requests through the Site;
- use another person’s details without their permission or impersonate another person when using the Site;
- share your password;
- post or transmit any obscene, indecent, inflammatory or pornographic material or any other material that may give rise to civil or criminal proceedings;
- tamper with or hinder the operation of the Site;
- knowingly transmit any viruses, worms, defects, trojan horses or similar disabling or malicious code to the Site;
- use any robot, spider, site search and retrieval application or other mechanism to retrieve or index any portion of the Site;
- decipher, decompile, disassemble, or reverse engineer any of the software on the Site, or in any way used or downloaded from the Site;
- modify, adapt or translate any portion of the Site;
- use any of the software on the Site, or downloaded from the Site, to create a competing product;
- remove any copyright, trade mark or other proprietary rights notices contained in or on the Site;
- reformat or frame any portion of the web pages that are part of the Site;
- create accounts by automated means or under false or fraudulent pretences;
- use the Site to violate the security of any computer or other network or engage in illegal conduct;
- take any action that imposes or that would, in our reasonable opinion, result in an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure;
- use the Site other than in accordance with these terms and conditions; or
- attempt any of the above acts or engage or permit another person to do any of the above acts.
We may immediately suspend, terminate or limit your access to and use of the Site and (where relevant) your account if you breach these terms and conditions and:
- the breach cannot be remedied; or
- you fail to the remedy the breach within 10 days of our notice to you of that breach; or
- if there is an emergency or we need to perform some maintenance on the Site.
Information We Collect
- Information from your use of the Site: We may get information about how and when you use the Site. This information may include your IP address, time, date, browser used, and actions taken by you within the Site.
- Cookies: When you use the Site, we store “cookies”, which are strings of code, on your computer. We use those cookies to collect information about when you visit the Site, your browser type and version, your operating system, and other similar information. You may turn off cookies that have been placed on your computer by following the instructions on your browser, but if you block our cookies, it may be more difficult (and maybe even impossible) to use the Site.
- Web Beacons: When we send emails to registered customers, we’ll sometimes track who opened the emails and who clicked the links. We do that to measure our Email Campaigns' performance and to improve our features for specific segments of customers. To do this, we include single pixel gifs, also called web beacons, in emails we send. Web beacons allow us to collect information about when you open the email, your IP address, your browser or email client type, and other similar details.
Use and Disclosure of Your Personal Information
We may use and disclose your Personal Information only as follows:
- To promote use of our Services. For example, if you leave your Personal Information when you visit our Site and don’t sign up for any of the Services, we may send you an email asking whether you want to sign up. If you use any of our Services, and we think you might benefit from using another Service we offer, we may send you an email telling you about it.
- To bill and collect money owed to us. This includes sending you emails, invoices, receipts, notices of arrears, and alerting you if we need a different credit card number. We use third parties for secure credit card transaction processing, and we send billing information to those third parties to process your orders and credit card payments.
- To send you Alert Messages. For example, we may need to let you know about late changes to class schedules, venues or tutor allocations.
- To provide customer support.
- To protect the rights and safety of our customers and third parties, as well as our own.
- To meet legal requirements like complying with court orders.
- To prosecute and defend a court, arbitration, or similar proceeding.
- To support and improve the Services we offer.
- To communicate with you about your account for informational, not promotional, reasons.
- To send you informational and promotional content. You can stop receiving our promotional emails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in every email.
The University strives to keep information stored on this server up to date, but does not guarantee the accuracy, reliability or currency of the information. Any errors in the information that are brought to our attention will be corrected as soon as possible. The University reserves the right to change at any time without notice any information stored on this server. This includes information about courses or units of study offered by the University.
The University of Sydney provides links to a number of external websites via this website. Monitoring and reviewing content of these third party external websites is not the responsibility of the University of Sydney nor does the University of Sydney endorse, approve or recommend the content, owners or operators of websites and applications available through this website.
The University accepts no liability for any loss or damage a person suffers because that person has directly or indirectly relied on any information stored on this server.
The University of Sydney owns the copyright in the information provided on this site, unless stated otherwise.
Material on this site is subject to copyright under Australian law and through international treaties, applicable law in other countries.
Individuals may copy a reasonable portion of the material on this site under the fair dealing provisions of the Copyright Act 1968 provided it is used for research or study or for criticism or review. Educational institutions may reproduce limited amounts of material from this site under Part VB of the Copyright Act.
Apart from these specified uses material from this site may not be reproduced for commercial purposes without prior written permission of the University of Sydney.
Reporting copyright infringements and problems
The University of Sydney is committed to upholding the rights of copyright owners. If you believe that copyright material is available on the University of Sydney network in such a way that it constitutes a copyright infringement or a breach of a contract or licence, please notify our Designated Representative using the Copyright Takedown Notice.
Consent to use and disclosure of personal information to the Department of Education & Communities and other government agencies
I understand and agree that personal information (information or an opinion about me), collected from me, my parent or guardian, such as my name, Unique Student Identifier, date of birth, contact details, training outcomes and performance, or sensitive personal information (including my ethnicity or health information) (together Personal Information) collected by The University of Sydney may be disclosed to the Department of Education and Communities (Department).
The Department may disclose my Personal Information to other Australian government agencies, including those located in States and Territories outside New South Wales.
The above government agencies may use my Personal Information for any purpose relating to the exercise of their government functions, including but not limited to the evaluation and assessment of my training, the determination of my eligibility to receive subsidised training or for any Fee Exemptions or Concessions. My Personal Information may also be disclosed to other third parties if required by law.
I consent to the collection, use and disclosure of my Personal Information in the manner outlined above.
Gift Vouchers and Codes
Gift Vouchers and Codes issued by us are valid only at the Centre for Continuing Education, University of Sydney (ABN 15 211 513 464).
Gift Vouchers and Codes, in addition to unused balances, are not redeemable for cash and cannot be returned for a cash refund (except as required by law); exchanged; resold; or used to purchase Gifts Vouchers or Codes. Unused balances are not transferable.
Redemption of Gift Vouchers and Codes requires acceptance of our Terms.
We are not responsible for lost or stolen Gift Vouchers or Codes or damage resulting from lost or stolen Gift Vouchers or Codes or use without permission. Risk of loss and title for Gift Vouchers and Codes pass to the purchaser upon electronic transmission.
We reserve the right to suspend accounts and request alternative forms of payment if a Gift Voucher or Code is fraudulently obtained or used.
If any Gift Voucher or Code is non-functional, we will remedy or replace such non-functional Gift Voucher or Code. Your statutory rights are not affected.
Gift Vouchers or Codes, and unused portions of Gift Vouchers and Codes, expire on the date specified on the voucher email.
Repeat Course Conditions
Where indicated on the course outline, a student may repeat:
- free of charge a public Information Technology course they have attended
- for $100 (or $200 for Chinese Intensive courses) a public language course they have attended
Repeat courses are subject to the following terms:
- Subject to the course being offered and places being available on the desired date.
- Bookings may only be made by phone between 3pm and 5pm the day before the course is due to commence. Please contact us on 02 8999 9608 and advise the learning consultant that you wish to book a repeat course.
- Repeat courses may only be undertaken by the student who originally attended the course.
- Students repeating the course must bring any training materials and supplies received when they attended the original course.
- Repeat courses must be completed within 6 months of the original course commencement date.
- A course may be repeated only once.
For information technology courses, if a newer version of the software is being taught a charge of 50% of the course fee is payable. Discounts and promotional offers may not be applied in reduction of the fee.