Adobe InDesign Course: Level 1
Adobe InDesign. Page design, layout, and publishing.
Master this powerful and flexible platform for creating graphically intensive layouts. Learn Adobe InDesign the smart way with Adobe InDesign courses at CCE, The University of Sydney.
View all Adobe courses
This Adobe InDesign course will get you up-and-running fast. Learn how to design professional layouts for print and digital publishing using this popular publishing software package. You will be taken from the basics of Adobe InDesign through to the skills necessary to create engaging print designs, page layouts and sophisticated typography for any media. Completion of this Adobe InDesign course provides sufficient knowledge to progress on to Adobe InDesign Course: Level 2.
Upon completion of this Adobe InDesign course, you should be able to:
- Understand how InDesign can be used and start working with it
- Understand how to set up and create a new document
- Work with and modify elements of a workspace
- Understand basic navigation within InDesign
- Work with pages
- Understand what layers are and how to work with them
- Understand colour and how to use it
- Understand and work with objects
- Work with graphics
- Work with text
- Ensure documents are ready to print
- Use the Help menu and access online help resources
This Adobe InDesign course covers the following topics:
Starting With InDesign CC
- Understanding InDesign.
- Starting Adobe InDesign In Windows 8.
- The Welcome Experience.
- The InDesign Workspace.
- Understanding Workspaces.
- Opening An Existing Document.
- Closing A Document.
- Exiting InDesign.
Setting Up A Document
- Understanding Document Presets.
- Adjusting The Units Of Measure.
- Creating A Document Preset.
- Creating A New Document.
- Using New Document Preview.
- Saving A New Document.
Working With A Workspace
- The Tools Panel.
- Using Selection Tools.
- Displaying And Hiding Rulers.
- Working With Workspaces.
- Creating A Custom Workspace.
- Understanding Panels.
- Displaying And Hiding Panels.
- Floating And Docking Panels.
- Working With The Status Bar.
- Understanding Screen Views.
- Changing Screen Views.
- Using The Hand And Zoom Tools.
- Using Shortcut Menus.
- Using Keyboard Shortcuts.
- Working With Tabbed Documents.
- Arranging Multiple Documents.
Working With Pages
- Inserting Pages.
- Navigating Pages.
- Understanding Master Pages.
- Creating Master Pages.
- Creating Ruler Guides.
- Locking, Unlocking And Clearing Guides.
- Viewing And Hiding The Grid.
- Adjusting Column Guides.
- Setting Document Bleed And Slug.
- Inserting Auto Page Numbering.
- Applying A Master Page.
- Deleting Pages.
- Understanding Layers.
- Creating A New Layer.
- Naming Layers And Assigning Colours.
- Assigning Objects To Layers.
- Reordering Layers.
- Hiding And Viewing Layers.
Working With Colour
- Understanding Colour.
- Stroke And Fill.
- Understanding The Colour Panel.
- Applying A Fill Colour.
- Applying A Stroke Colour.
- Selecting Colours Using The Eyedropper.
- Selecting Colours Using The Swatches Panel.
- Adding Colours To The Swatches Panel.
- Creating A Gradient.
- Creating A Colour Group.
- Creating A Colour Theme.
- Removing Colour.
Frames And Shapes
- Understanding Frames.
- Creating Frames And Shapes.
- Transforming Shapes.
- Merging Shapes Using Pathfinder.
- Duplicating Objects.
- Arranging Objects.
- Aligning And Distributing Objects.
- Grouping Objects.
- Creating An Outline.
- Placing Graphics In An Outline.
Working With Graphics
- Understanding Graphic File Formats.
- Placing Graphics In A Document.
- Positioning Graphics Within A Frame.
- Fitting Graphics.
- Understanding Linked Graphics.
- Navigating The Links Panel.
- Linking And Embedding Files9.
- Placing InLine Graphics.
- Creating A Clipping Path.
- Applying Text Wrap.
- Creating A Caption.
- Changing Display Performance.
Working With Text
- Understanding Text.
- Applying Type Style.
- Changing Font Size And Leading.
- Changing The Vertical Text Alignment.
- Threading Text Frames.
- Importing Text From Microsoft Word.
- Adjusting Kerning1.
- Adjusting Tracking.
- Editing Text In Place.
- Editing Text With The Story Editor.
Preparing For Printing
- Running A Preflight Check.
- Printing A Document.
- Defining A Print Preset.
- Understanding Ink Handling Terms.
- Creating A Postscript File.
- Exporting To PDF.
- Soft Proofing.
- Packaging A Document.
- Understanding The Help Menu.
- Using Help.
- Searching For Online Help.
This Adobe InDesign course assumes little or no knowledge of the software and is suitable for all individuals who wish to learn the basics of Adobe InDesign and graphic production to create layouts for print media. You should be familiar with the basic functions of a computer operating system such as navigating the environment using a mouse and keyboard, starting applications, copying and pasting objects, formatting text, creating folders, opening files, saving files, familiarity with the accessing the Internet and use of common web browsers. If you do not have these skills, we recommend attending Basic Computer Skills Course and Effective Internet Use before attempting this course. Familiarity with other Adobe software applications is helpful, but not required.
- Free repeat class - Conditions apply
- Free USB flash drive
- Expert trainer
- Dedicated computer for every student
- Small class size
- Student notes – yours to keep
- Certificate of completion
What others say.
Really enjoyed this course, and having it spread out over two weeks proved helpful in that you don’t have to be offline at a training course for two consecutive days.
I have been to several CCE courses and I have to say that this was my favourite. I really enjoyed the teaching style/methods and the mixture of theory and practical. Because it is a design course, we did a lot of practical work and the examples/projects given were relevant to everyone. The tutor was very attentive to individuals who needed support/help.
Great to do software training in a class where the (excellent) tutor gave attention to problems and questions.
Thank you so much to the tutor for the most enjoyable way to learn Adobe InDesign. From the easy to follow instructions and creative hands on design challenges, you kept us engaged and wanting to learn more. I would highly recommend this course to the true beginners and those wanting to refresh their skills – you’ll definitely walk away feeling well prepared to start creating design projects the next day.
Our tutor was brilliant. Real experience and very patient, kind, engaging. Brilliant.
This was the best training course I’ve ever attended. I needed InDesign skills to be able to create newsletters and I left feeling as though I had not only learnt those basic skills but so much more.
The tutor was calm, patient, knowledgeable and very easy to understand. Made what I thought was going to be a difficult course, really enjoyable. I learnt a lot.
A great teacher who took the time to ensure everyone was on the same page. Great teaching skills! I had a really good time and felt like I learnt more in 2 days than most people do in weeks.
Great course, just the right pace; not too slow and with room for specific questions. Teacher was very knowledgeable, friendly, patient and intuitive. I now feel comfortable using the InDesign program in a professional environment.
Great course, the tutor was very thorough and the class moved at a good pace. Excellent facilities and value.
Overall fantastic. A lot to get through in a couple of days but the tutor kept it flowing and I feel much more confident using the program now. I would recommend this course to others.
I found it extremely beneficial and as a result, have enrolled into further courses and recommended your courses my colleagues.
The tutor did a great job training the group on InDesign and the manual is very comprehensive. We had a friendly and professional instructor.
It was one of the best courses I’ve done – the tutor was brilliant, she explained everything in an easy, way to understand regardless of what level you were at. The notes are great, easy to follow and the venue and facilities were really good. I cant wait to do another course!
This course is amazing! The tutor is an extremely knowledgeable facilitator and I came away from this course confident in my abilities to use Adobe InDesign.
An excellent presenter who was informative an entertaining making learning and understanding easy.
I enjoyed the course. The tutor was very patient and thorough, and I went away feeling that I had enough of an understanding of the key functions of InDesign to make good use of the program in my work.
A great facilitator who comes with many years of experience and was able to help us with their technical knowledge.