Study for Success Course: Strategies for Improving Learning
Study Skills courses in Sydney. Open to everyone.
Study the smart way with Study Skills courses in Sydney at the University of Sydney.
This course is designed specifically for students preparing for University study, including students of the Diploma of Tertiary Preparation, and provides an introduction to those critical skills required to learn more effectively and enhance performance in assessment activities. It complements and improves learning in each chosen area of study. This study skills course is run over three sessions in three-hour blocks. Each session begins with a lecture and then smaller breakout tutorials where students work with tutors to practise and apply the strategies and techniques learnt during the lecture.
This study skills course covers the following topics:
- Motivation and self-direction
- Learning styles
- Planning, organising and managing time
- Critical thinking
Lectures and tutorials
- Pre-lecture and tutorial preparation
- Techniques for listening and note-making
- Techniques for post-lecture summarising and evaluation
- Asking effective questions
Working with information
- Inquiry/research process
- Selecting, processing and presenting information
- Resources available to UPC students
- Academic writing: planning, composing, revising and recursion
- Preparation: selecting and organising information, memorisation
- Dealing with anxiety
- Answering exam questions: interpreting questions, planning, composing and reviewing answers
Course suitable for
This Study for Success course is suitable for those who have enrolled into a university preparation course as well as recent high school graduates and first year university students.
At the end of this study skills course, participants will be able to:
- Apply strategies for enhancing and maintaining motivation
- Personally direct learning through effective management of the self and the resources in the learning environment
- Apply strategies to manage time and organise resources effectively
- Think critically and without bias when analysing, interpreting and processing information
- Prepare effectively for lectures and tutorials
- Listen more effectively during lectures and tutorials
- Make useful and relevant notes during lectures and tutorials
- Summarise and synthesise information recorded during lectures and tutorials
- Formulate and ask effective questions which close gaps in personal knowledge
- Formulate a research question
- Define, locate, select, organise, present and evaluate information for use in research
- Identify, select and use resources available
- Plan, compose and revise submissions for essays and assignments
- Apply strategies for paraphrasing and avoiding plagiarism
- Use a standard referencing system to acknowledge sources of information
- Select, organise and memorise information for use during examinations
- Apply strategies for reducing anxiety
- Interpret examination questions and plan, compose and review effective answers.
Courses in Sydney. Open to the public.
- Expert trainers
- Central locations
- Free, expert advice
- Small class sizes
- Course notes – yours to keep
- Certificate of completion
What others say about this course.
The presenter was very helpful, open to discussion and supportive of all questioning. He followed the required content and left plenty of time for class exercises. The class was not very interactive, but he accepted that, not dwelling too long but welcoming of feedback whenever it was offered. I enjoyed his manner and his suggestions based on personal experience.
The tutor presented valuable material in a very effective manner. Great experience.
The tutor was articulate, encouraging and worked at the perfect speed to keep up with the class. I hope to take some of their classes in the future.
Found the course very helpful in easing me back into study.