Chinese Mandarin Course 201: Intensive
Chinese. Learn Chinese with us.
If you want to learn to speak Chinese, our Chinese classes are ideal for adult learners to enjoy a practical and social experience while you learn Chinese language and culture. Learn Chinese the smart way with Chinese courses at the University of Sydney.
- This Chinese course begins the second year of study following Chinese (Mandarin) Course 104: Intensive with about 175 more vocabulary items.
- Covers topics of interest to college-age students, such as campus life, career planning, and Chinese cultural traditions
- Includes pinyin texts at the end of each lesson, so students can read characters without relying on pinyin
This Chinese course covers the following topics:
- Lessons: 开学, 宿舍， 在饭馆儿， 买东西, 选课.
- Adverbs 真 and 难道.
- Dynamic particle 了.
- Preposition 至于.
- The 是…的… construction.
- 除了…以外; 再说; 得很; 那(么).
- 一 + v; 又 adj/verb, 又 adj/verb.
- Emphatic 是; 无论…, 都…
- Conjunction 于是; adj/v+是+adj/v, 可是/但是…
- 再, 又, and 还 compared.
- 要么…, 要么….
- Also connecting sentences, existential sentences, conjunctions, topic-comment sentence structure, resultative compliments.
- Words and phrases include 恐怕 (I’m afraid; I think perhaps), 差不多 (about; roughly), 一般 (generally speaking), 不怎么样 (not that great; just so-so), 这(就)要看…(了) (that depends on...) , 比如(说) (for example), …什么的 (…Etc.), (要) 不然 (otherwise), 非…不可 (have to; must), 受不了 (unable to bear), 不过 (but), 这样 (in this way).
This Chinese language course covers Integrated Chinese Level 2, Part 1, Lessons 1 to 5 and is taught over 4 hours per week in two sessions. The content of this course is also available over two hours per week in one session by completing Chinese (Mandarin) Course 2011: Standard followed by Chinese (Mandarin) Course 2012: Standard.
- Integrated Chinese, Level 2 Part 1 Textbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 2 Part 1 Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 2 Part 1 Character Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
Both simplified and traditional character versions of the textbook and the two workbooks are available, however the simplified version will be taught in the classroom. Students can also opt for the electronic versions of the Chinese course materials.
The Textbook is required for this course, while the Workbook and Character Workbook are recommended, but optional.
In addition to purchasing course materials online, students may also be able to source textbooks from our preferred textbook suppliers.
Prescribed textbooks should only be purchased after confirmation is received from us that the course will proceed. This usually occurs up to 5 days prior to class commencement.
Suggested Textbook Suppliers
The Co-op Bookshop
Become a member and get up to 50% off everything – online, on your tablet or mobile, or in over 60 stores.
Language Book Centre
Take your enrolment confirmation and a copy of this page to the Language Book Centre to receive a 10% discount off the price of the recommended text or foreign language dictionaries for your course.
Selected Language and Culture courses that teach spoken language may include use of language immersion (course instruction in the selected language) as part of the training strategy.