Chinese Mandarin Course 101: Intensive (Beginners)
Chinese courses in Sydney. Learn Chinese with us.
If you want to learn to speak Chinese, our Chinese classes are ideal for adult learners to enjoy a practical and social experience while you learn Chinese language and culture. Learn Chinese the smart way with Chinese courses in Sydney at the University of Sydney.
This Chinese course:
- Begins the first year of study in Chinese, and introduces about 165 vocabulary items.
- Covers the basics with simple, graded activities on essential topics such as greetings, dates and times, family, and shopping.
- Introduces essential grammatical structures.
- Positions pinyin texts close to Chinese character texts so students can focus on speaking and pronunciation.
This Chinese course covers the following topics:
- Greetings, family, date & time, hobbies and visiting friends.
- The verbs 姓 (xìng), 叫 (jiào) and 是 (shì).
- Questions ending with 吗 (ma), the negative adverb 不 (bù).
- The adverbs 也 (yě), 都 (dōu), 还 (hái) and 才 (cái).
- The particles 的 (de), 吧 (ba) and 了(le).
- Usage of 有 (yǒu) and 二 (èr)/两 (liǎng).
- Introduces measure words.
- Questions pronouns, numbers (0, 1–100).
- Affirmative + negative (A-not-A) questions.
- Word order.
- 一下 (y' xià) and (一)点儿(yì diǎnr).
This Chinese course covers Integrated Chinese Level 1, Part 1, Lessons 1 to 5 and is taught over 4 hours per week in two sessions. The content of this course is also available over two hours per week in one session by completing Chinese (Mandarin) Course 1011: Standard (Beginners) followed by Chinese (Mandarin) Course 1012: Standard.
This Chinese course is delivered as interactive workshops where active participation is encouraged.
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Textbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Character Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
Both simplified and traditional character versions of the textbook and the two workbooks are available, however the simplified versions will be taught in the classroom. Students can also opt for the electronic versions of the Chinese course materials.
The Textbook is required for this course, while the Workbook and Character Workbook are recommended, but optional.
In addition to purchasing course materials online, students may also be able to source textbooks from our preferred textbook suppliers.
Prescribed textbooks should only be purchased after confirmation is received from us that the course will proceed. This usually occurs up to 5 days prior to class commencement.
Suggested Textbook Suppliers
The Co-op Bookshop
Become a member and get up to 50% off everything – online, on your tablet or mobile, or in over 60 stores.
Language Book Centre
Take your enrolment confirmation and a copy of this page to the Language Book Centre to receive a 10% discount off the price of the recommended text or foreign language dictionaries for your course.
- $100 repeat class ($200 for Intensive Chinese Classes) - Conditions apply
- Expert trainer
- Small class size (~20 max)
- Central location
Language courses are offered in four semesters each year, approximately in January, April, July and October. Try our Language Proficiency Calculator to work out which language level is right for you.
What others say about this course.
Both of the tutors were wonderful Chinese language teachers. I am amazed at how much I was able to learn in a short course from them.