Business Chinese Course 1011 (Beginners)
Chinese. Learn Chinese with us.
If you want to learn to speak Chinese, our Chinese classes are ideal for adult learners to enjoy a practical and social experience while you learn Chinese language and culture. Learn Chinese the smart way with Chinese courses at the University of Sydney.
The Confucius Institute, China Studies Centre and the Centre of Continuing Education have combined their strength and resources to launch a new Chinese Mandarin language program designed for professionals and business people who have little or no Chinese language knowledge.
Business Chinese Course 1011 (Beginners) contains the same Chinese language components as the Chinese Mandarin Course 1011: Standard (Beginners) course. Business Chinese Course 1011 (Beginners) also uses the same Chinese textbook Integrate Chinese and has the same language learning objectives as Chinese Mandarin Course 1011: Standard (Beginners). The only difference between the two courses is that Business Chinese Course 1011 (Beginners) contains two Chinese Culture Awareness sessions. The Chinese Culture Awareness sessions are not only useful for professional and business people, but also valuable for anyone who is studying Chinese language and interested in knowing more about China and Chinese culture.
We designed Business Chinese Course 1011 (Beginners) and Chinese Mandarin Course 1011: Standard (Beginners) with the same language components so students who have completed Business Chinese Course 1011 (Beginners) can also move up to the Chinese Mandarin Course 1012: Standard course.
Business Chinese Course 1011 (Beginners) covers Integrated Chinese Level 1, Part 1, Lesson 1 to 2 and is taught over 2 hours per week in one session.
- Begins the first year of study in Chinese, and introduces 70 vocabulary items.
- Covers the basics with simple, graded activities on essential topics such as greetings, family.
- Covers topics on China and Chinese culture.
- Introduces basic grammatical structures.
- Positions pinyin text close to Chinese character text so students can focus on speaking and pronunciation.
- Introduces the Chinese writing system of characters---hanzi, as a guide to Chinese literacy.
This course will cover the following language topics and grammar points:
- Course introduction.
- Chinese pronunciation and the five tones.
- Chinese sentence structure and grammar.
- Simplified Chinese characters and Pinyin Romanization system.
- Greeting and Introducing each other.
- Meeting family members.
- The verbs 姓 (xìng), 叫 (jiào), 是 (shì) and有 (yǒu).
- The adverbs 不 (bù), 也 (yě), 都 (dōu).
- The particles 的 (de).
- Usage of 二 (èr)/两 (liǎng).
- Questions ending with 吗 (ma) and 呢 (ne), questions pronouns.
- Measure words.
This course also covers the following cultural topics related to China:
- Geography, climate, people.
- Ethnicities, religion, government.
- Chinese culture & Business etiquette.
- Cultural differences & sensitivities.
This Chinese course is delivered in the form of an interactive workshop where active participation is encouraged.
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Textbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Character Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
Both simplified and traditional character versions of the textbook and the two workbooks are available, however the simplified version will be taught in the classroom. Students can also opt for the electronic version of Chinese course materials.
While the Textbook is required for this course, the Workbook and Character Workbook are optional, but recommended.
In addition to purchasing course materials online, students may also be able to source textbooks from our preferred textbook suppliers.
Prescribed textbooks should only be purchased after confirmation is received from us that the course will proceed. This usually occurs up to 5 days prior to class commencement.
Suggested Textbook Suppliers
The Co-op Bookshop
Become a member and get up to 50% off everything – online, on your tablet or mobile, or in over 60 stores.
Language Book Centre
Take your enrolment confirmation and a copy of this page to the Language Book Centre to receive a 10% discount off the price of the recommended text or foreign language dictionaries for your course.
Selected Language and Culture courses that teach spoken language may include use of language immersion (course instruction in the selected language) as part of the training strategy.
- $100 repeat class ($200 for intensive classes) - Conditions apply
- Small class size (~20 max)
- Central location
Language courses are offered in four terms each year during January, April, July and October. Try our Language Proficiency Calculator to work out which language level is right for you.
What others say.
Our tutor was highly experienced and brought great energy to the classes, making learning fun.
The instructor was great, a good pace for the class and course content was relevant for business.