Business Chinese Course for Beginners
Chinese courses in Sydney. Learn Chinese with us.
If you want to learn to speak Chinese, our Chinese classes are ideal for adult learners to enjoy a practical and social experience while you learn Chinese language and culture. Learn Chinese the smart way with Chinese courses in Sydney at the University of Sydney.
The Confucius Institute, China Studies Centre and the Centre of Continuing Education have combined our strength and resources to launch a new Chinese Mandarin language program that is designed for professionals and business people who have little or no Chinese language knowledge.
The Business Chinese Course will focus on building participants' listening, speaking, reading and writing skills, expand their knowledge of Chinese culture and improve their cross-cultural communication skills.
Chinese sentence structure, grammar and Chinese characters will be introduced in the course. Pinyin as a pronunciation tool will be taught from the beginning of the class. Basic vocabulary and conversations frequently encountered in everyday life will be provided through typical everyday scenarios. Learners will acquire essential skills in using Chinese and be ready to go on to the next level of learning.
The Business Chinese Beginners Level course will cover the following language topics:
- Course introduction
- Chinese pronunciation and the five tones
- Chinese sentence structure and grammar
- Simplified Chinese characters and Pinyin Romanization system
- Introduction of about 85 vocabulary items
- Greetings and Introducing each other
- Meeting family members
- Inviting someone to lunch and dinner
- Chinese numerals, dates and time
- Talking about hobbies
- Visiting friends
Topics on China and Chinese culture:
- Geography, Climate, People
- Ethnicities, Religion, Government
- Chinese Culture & Business Etiquette
- Cultural Differences & Sensitivities
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Textbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Character Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
The Textbook is required for this course, while the Workbook and Character Workbook are recommended, but optional.
Prescribed textbooks should only be purchased after confirmation is received from us that the course will proceed. This usually occurs up to 5 days prior to class commencement.
Suggested Textbook Suppliers
The Co-op Bookshop
Become a member and get up to 50% off everything – online, on your tablet or mobile, or in over 60 stores.
Language Book Centre
Take your enrolment confirmation and a copy of this page to the Language Book Centre to receive a 10% discount off the price of the recommended text or foreign language dictionaries for your course.
This is an interactive language course in which you will participate in group exercises and discussion.
Course suitable for
This course is suitable for professionals who have no prior knowledge of Chinese.
If you have additional enquiries about this course, please contact our Chinese language coordinator for specific advice.
- Courses open to the general public
- Expert trainers
- Central locations
- Free, expert advice
- Small class sizes
- Course notes – yours to keep
- Certificate of completion