Chinese Mandarin Course 1012: Standard
Chinese. Learn Chinese with us.
If you want to learn to speak Chinese, our Chinese classes are ideal for adult learners to enjoy a practical and social experience while you learn Chinese language and culture. Learn Chinese the smart way with Chinese courses at the University of Sydney.
Chinese (Mandarin) Course 1012: Standard covers Integrated Chinese Level 1, Part 1, Lessons 3 to 5 are taught over two hours per week in one session. The content of this course and Chinese (Mandarin) Course 1011: Standard (Beginners) are also available over four hours per week in two sessions through Chinese Mandarin Course 101: Intensive (Beginners).
This Chinese course:
- Introduces 103 vocabulary items.
- Covers the basics with simple, graded activities on essential topics such as dates and time, hobbies and shopping.
- Introduces essential grammatical structures.
- Concentrates on four skills of language: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
This Chinese course covers the following topics and grammar points:
- Dates & Time – taking someone out to eat on his/her birthday and inviting someone to dinner.
- Hobbies – Talking about hobbies and would you like to play ball?
- Visiting friends – visiting a friend’s home and at a friend’s house.
- The adverbs还 (hái) and 才 (cái).
- The particles吧 (ba) and 了 (le).
- The conjunction 那么 (nàme).
- The modal verb 想 (xiǎng).
- The preposition 在 (zài).
- Numbers (0, 1–100).
- Dates and time.
- Word order in Chinese.
- Alternative questions, affirmative + negative (A-not-A) questions, questions with 好吗 (hǎo ma).
- 去 (qù) + action.
- Verb + object as a detachable compound.
- 一下 (yí xià) and 一点儿 (yì diǎnr) moderating the tone of voice.
- Adjectives as predicates.
This Chinese course is delivered in the form of an interactive workshop where active participation is encouraged.
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Textbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Character Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
Both simplified and traditional character versions of the textbook and the two workbooks are available, however the simplified version will be taught in the classroom. Students can also opt for the electronic versions of the Chinese course materials.
While the Textbook is required for this course, the Workbook and Character Workbook are optional, but recommended.
In addition to purchasing course materials online, students may also be able to source textbooks from our preferred textbook suppliers.
Prescribed textbooks should only be purchased after students receive confirmation that the course will proceed. This usually occurs around 5 days prior to class commencement.
Prescribed textbooks should only be purchased after confirmation is received from us that the course will proceed. This usually occurs up to 5 days prior to class commencement.
Suggested Textbook Suppliers
The Co-op Bookshop
Become a member and get up to 50% off everything – online, on your tablet or mobile, or in over 60 stores.
Language Book Centre
Take your enrolment confirmation and a copy of this page to the Language Book Centre to receive a 10% discount off the price of the recommended text or foreign language dictionaries for your course.
Selected Language and Culture courses that teach spoken language may include use of language immersion (course instruction in the selected language) as part of the training strategy.
- $100 repeat class ($200 for intensive classes) - Conditions apply
- Small class size (~20 max)
- Central location
Language courses are offered in four terms each year during January, April, July and October. Try our Language Proficiency Calculator to work out which language level is right for you.
What others say.
Course very well structured, very beneficial for those wanting to learn Chinese for practical everyday use. Highly recommend to anyone wanting to learn Chinese language and culture.
Definitely recommend this tutor. The depth of knowledge and explanations are what made the course worthwhile.
Our tutor was a dedicated and committed teacher of Chinese Mandarin. Always prepared for lessons, inclusive of all students and encouraged class participation.
I really liked my tutor who was very approachable, friendly, encouraging and knowledgeable.
Very happy with the course and particularly our tutor, whose support, patience and encouragement made this a wonderful learning experience.
We had an excellent teacher, whose manner and method were impeccable.