Chinese Mandarin Course 1042: Standard
Chinese courses in Sydney. Learn Chinese with us.
If you want to learn to speak Chinese, our Chinese classes are ideal for adult learners to enjoy a practical and social experience while you learn Chinese language and culture. Learn Chinese the smart way with Chinese courses in Sydney at the University of Sydney.
Chinese (Mandarin) Course 1042: Standard covers Integrated Chinese Level 1, Part 2, Lesson 18 to 20 and is taught over two hours per week in one session. The content of this course and Chinese (Mandarin) Course 1041: Standard is also available over four hours per week in two sessions by completing Chinese (Mandarin) Course 104: Intensive.
- Introduces 94 vocabulary items.
- Covers more topics such as talking about sports, travel and at the airport.
- Continues to build Chinese listening, speaking , reading and writing skills by extending students' communicative competence through various activities.
- Provide students with a solid foundation in Chinese language and culture which is necessary for further studies in intermediate and advanced Chinese courses.
This Chinese course covers the following topics and grammar points:
- Sports – my gut keeps getting bigger and bigger and watching American football.
- Travel – travelling to Beijing and planning an itinerary.
- At the airport – checking in at the airport and arriving in Beijing.
- The particle 着 (zhe).
- Kinship terms, numbers over one thousand.
- 的 (de), 得 (de), 地 (de) compared, …的时候 (…de shíhòu) and …以后 (…yǐhòu) compared.
- 好 / 难 (hǎo / nán) + verb, 不得了 (bù déliǎo, extremely).
- 下去 (xià qù) indicating, 还 (hái) + positive adjective.
- 被 / 叫 / 让 (bèi / jiào / ràng) in passive-voice sentences.
- Duration of non-action, continuation, duration of actions.
- Question pronouns as indefinite references (whoever, whatever, etc.).
- Comparative sentences with 比 (bǐ).
This Chinese course is delivered in the form of an interactive workshop where active participation is encouraged.
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 2 Textbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 2 Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 2 Character Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
Both simplified and traditional character versions of the textbook and the two workbooks are available, however the simplified version will be taught in the classroom. Students can also opt for the electronic version of Chinese course materials.
While the Textbook is required for this course, the Workbook and Character Workbook are optional, but recommended.
In addition to purchasing course materials online, students may also be able to source textbooks from our preferred textbook suppliers.
Prescribed textbooks should only be purchased after confirmation is received from us that the course will proceed. This usually occurs up to 5 days prior to class commencement.
Suggested Textbook Suppliers
The Co-op Bookshop
Become a member and get up to 50% off everything – online, on your tablet or mobile, or in over 60 stores.
Language Book Centre
Take your enrolment confirmation and a copy of this page to the Language Book Centre to receive a 10% discount off the price of the recommended text or foreign language dictionaries for your course.
Courses in Sydney. Open to the public.
- $100 repeat class ($200 for Intensive Chinese Classes) - Conditions apply
- Expert trainer
- Small class size (~20 max)
- Central location
Language courses are offered in four terms each year, approximately in January, April, July and October. Try our Language Proficiency Calculator to work out which language level is right for you.
What others say about this course.
Great teacher who prepared extra materials, gave us real life examples for the new words we’ve learnt and is also a great person in general.