Chinese Mandarin Course 1031: Standard
Chinese. Learn Chinese with us.
If you want to learn to speak Chinese, our Chinese classes are ideal for adult learners to enjoy a practical and social experience while you learn Chinese language and culture.
Chinese (Mandarin) Course 1031: Standard covers Integrated Chinese Level 1, Part 2, Lesson 11 to 12 and is taught over 2 hours per week in one session. The content of this course and Chinese (Mandarin) Course 1032: Standard is also available over four hours per week in two sessions by completing Chinese (Mandarin) Course 103: Intensive.
- Introduces 68 vocabulary items.
- Covers more topics such as talking about the weather and dining.
- Concentrates on all four language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Develop all the language skills that students have acquired in level 1 part 1. Students will further expand their vocabulary and study more complex linguistic structures to enhance their confidence in communicating in Chinese.
- Deepen understanding of Chinese culture and society.
This Chinese course covers the following topics and grammar points:
- Talking about the weather – tomorrow’s weather will be even better and the weather here is awful.
- Dining – dining out and eating in a cafeteria.
- The modal verb 会 (huì).
- The verb来 (lái).
- The adverb 又 (yòu); 多/少 (duō / shǎo) + v.; 还 (hái).
- The preposition对 (duì).
- 刚 (gāng) vs 刚才 (gāngcái), adj. + 一点儿 (yì diǎnr).
- 了(le) as a sentence-final particle.
- Comparative sentences with比 (bǐ)
- Resultative complements, 好 (hǎo) as a resultative complement.
- Reduplication of adjectives
- adj / v + 是 (shì) + adj / v.+ 可是/但是… (kěshì/dànshì…).
- 一 …也/都…不/没… (yì...yě / dōu ... bù / méi)/
This Chinese course is delivered in the form of an interactive workshop where active participation is encouraged.
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 2 Textbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 2 Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 2 Character Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
Both simplified and traditional character versions of the textbook and the two workbooks are available, however the simplified version will be taught in the classroom. Students can also opt for the electronic version of Chinese course materials.
While the Textbook is required for this course, the Workbook and Character Workbook are optional, but recommended.
In addition to purchasing course materials online, students may also be able to source textbooks from our preferred textbook suppliers.
Prescribed textbooks should only be purchased after confirmation is received from us that the course will proceed. This usually occurs up to 5 days prior to class commencement.
Suggested Textbook Suppliers
The Co-op Bookshop
Become a member and get up to 50% off everything – online, on your tablet or mobile, or in over 60 stores.
Language Book Centre
Take your enrolment confirmation and a copy of this page to the Language Book Centre to receive a 10% discount off the price of the recommended text or foreign language dictionaries for your course.
Selected Language and Culture courses that teach spoken language may include use of language immersion (course instruction in the selected language) as part of the training strategy.
Courses in Sydney. Open to the public.
- $100 repeat class ($200 for intensive classes) - Conditions apply
- Small class size (~20 max)
- Central location
Language courses are offered in four terms each year during January, April, July and October. Try our Language Proficiency Calculator to work out which language level is right for you.
What others say about this course.
This well-paced course, reinforced by our patient and supportive teacher, made learning fun and enjoyable.
Teacher was absolutely brilliant with a sense of humour and was genuinely interested in the students.