Foundations of Jewish Family Living Course I
Jewish Culture. Learn about Jewish Culture with us.
Learn about Jewish culture the smart way with Jewish Culture courses at CCE, The University of Sydney.
This series of five lessons developed at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem aims to provide a thought-provoking encounter with many of the core values of Judaism. This in turn will enable parents to take the conversation home and be a teacher to their own children. Each topic is anchored by a foundational ‘Master Story’ that has come to be identified with, or can be connected to, a specific Jewish value.
According to Rabbi Michael Goldberg, who first coined the term ‘Master Story’, the fundamental beliefs, worldviews, and faith of both secular and religious thought are derived from and based on “bedrock” stories. Just as children divine meaning and significance from their earliest bedtime stories, adults turn to foundational stories from where they derive meaning, ethical attitudes, and perspectives on life.
At the end of the course participants will:
- Have explored the notion of being made in God’s image is the basis for Jewish morality through traditional and contemporary texts
- Have analysed several ‘Master Stories’ which highlight a particular Jewish value, ritual, holiday or perspective of the foundational stories of Judaism
- Have the learning, the language and the confidence to decide which Jewish values they wish to instil in their children
This Jewish family living course will cover the following topics:
- A Year of Values: Exploring Values through Festivals.
- Reflecting the Source.
- The Gift of Self-Improvement.
- Embracing the Other.
- Living Beyond the Day to Day.
- Expert trainers
- Central locations
- Small class sizes
- Free, expert advice
- Student materials – yours to keep
- Certificate of completion