Learn Chinese in Sydney with Chinese classes at the University of Sydney. This Chinese language course covers Integrated Chinese Level 1, Part 1, Lessons 1 to 2/3 and is taught over 2 hours per week in one session.
- $100 Repeat Chinese Class* ($200 for Intensive Chinese Classes)
- Expert Trainer
- Small class size (~20 max)
- Central Location
Full details of the Chinese Language Program are available from the program overview. Please note that the Chinese language program offered by the Centre for Continuing Education and the Confucious Institute is for learning Mandarin Chinese.
This Chinese course combined with Chinese 1012 covers:
- Begins the first year of study in Chinese, and introduces about 165 vocabulary items.
- Covers the basics with simple, graded activities on essential topics such as greetings, dates and times, family, and shopping.
- Introduces essential grammatical structures.
- Positions pinyin texts close to Chinese character texts so students can focus on speaking and pronunciation.
This Chinese course covers the following topics:
- Greetings, Family, Date & Time.
- Introduces the verbs 姓 (xìng), 叫 (jiào) and 是 (shì); questions ending with 吗 (ma), the negative adverb 不 (bù); the adverbs 也 (yě), 都 (dōu), 还 (hái) and 才 (cái); the particles 的 (de), 吧 (ba) and 了(le); usage of 有 (yǒu) and 二 (èr)/两 (liǎng). Introduces measure words, questions pronouns, numbers (0, 1–100)
This Chinese course is delivered as interactive workshops where active participation is encouraged.
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Textbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified or Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified or Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Character Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
Both simplified and traditional character versions of the textbook and the two workbooks are available, however the simplified versions are recommended. Students can also opt for the electronic versions of the Chinese course materials.
The Textbook is required for this course, while the Workbook and Character Workbook are recommended, but optional.
In addition to purchasing course materials online, students may also be able to source textbooks from our preferred textbook suppliers.
Recommended Textbook Suppliers
The Co-op Bookshop
University Sports and Aquatic Centre
Cnr Codrington Avenue & Darlington Road | University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
P + 61 2 9351 3705 | W www.coop-bookshop.com.au
Become a member and get fantastic benefits that includes up to 9% off books, stationery, University of Sydney clothing and much more.
The Language Book Centre
L 1 131 York Street | Sydney | NSW 2000 (behind the Queen Victoria Building)
P + 61 2 9267 1397 W www.languagebooks.com.au
Take your enrolment receipt or confirmation and a copy of your course outline to Abbeys to receive a 10% discount off the price of the recommended text or foreign language dictionaries for your course.