Chinese (Mandarin) Course 1011: Beginners Standard
in this class
in this class
Learn Chinese in Sydney with Chinese classes at the University of Sydney. This Chinese language course covers Integrated Chinese Level 1, Part 1, Lessons 1 to 2/3 and is taught over 2 hours per week in one session.
- $100 Repeat Chinese Class* ($200 for Intensive Chinese Classes)
- Expert Trainer
- Small class size (~20 max)
- Central Location
- Language courses are offered in four semesters each year, approximately in January, April, July and October.
- Try our Language Proficiency Calculator to work out which language level is right for you.
Full details of the Chinese Language Program are available from the program overview. Please note that the Chinese language program offered by the Centre for Continuing Education and the Confucious Institute is for learning Mandarin Chinese.
This Chinese course combined with Chinese 1012 covers:
- Begins the first year of study in Chinese, and introduces about 165 vocabulary items.
- Covers the basics with simple, graded activities on essential topics such as greetings, dates and times, family, and shopping.
- Introduces essential grammatical structures.
- Positions pinyin texts close to Chinese character texts so students can focus on speaking and pronunciation.
This Chinese course covers the following topics:
- Greetings, Family, Date & Time.
- Introduces the verbs 姓 (xìng), 叫 (jiào) and 是 (shì); questions ending with 吗 (ma), the negative adverb 不 (bù); the adverbs 也 (yě), 都 (dōu), 还 (hái) and 才 (cái); the particles 的 (de), 吧 (ba) and 了(le); usage of 有 (yǒu) and 二 (èr)/两 (liǎng). Introduces measure words, questions pronouns, numbers (0, 1–100)
This Chinese course is delivered as interactive workshops where active participation is encouraged.
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Textbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified or Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified or Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Character Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
Both simplified and traditional character versions of the textbook and the two workbooks are available, however the simplified versions will be taught in the classroom. Students can also opt for the electronic versions of the Chinese course materials.
The Textbook is required for this course, while the Workbook and Character Workbook are recommended, but optional.
In addition to purchasing course materials online, students may also be able to source textbooks from our preferred textbook suppliers.
Recommended Textbook Suppliers
The Co-op Bookshop
University Sports and Aquatic Centre
Cnr Codrington Avenue & Darlington Road | University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
P + 61 2 9351 3705 | W www.coop-bookshop.com.au
Become a member and get fantastic benefits that includes up to 9% off books, stationery, University of Sydney clothing and much more.
The Language Book Centre
L 1 131 York Street | Sydney | NSW 2000 (behind the Queen Victoria Building)
P + 61 2 9267 1397 W www.languagebooks.com.au
Take your enrolment receipt or confirmation and a copy of your course outline to Abbeys to receive a 10% discount off the price of the recommended text or foreign language dictionaries for your course.
What others say about the course:
I’ve been to a few different Mandarin Chinese courses in the past and USyd CCE is by far the best given the teacher (June Su) and resources she makes available.
June is an excellent teacher and engaged all of the class very well, keeping us all on track and motivated. I very much enjoyed the course and found the subject far less daunting than I thought, thanks to the excellent teaching.
Great teacher. Very patient, helpful,generous and informative. Good beginners class for studying a language.
The tutor was really great in getting us to learn this course. She got us to participate effectively and also learn to overcome some of the difficulty associated with the Chinese pronunciation.