Learn Chinese in Sydney with lessons and courses at the University of Sydney. This Chinese language course covers Integrated Chinese Level 1, Part 1, Lessons 1 to 2/3 and is taught over 2 hours per week in one session.
- $100 Repeat Class*
- Expert Trainer
- Small class size (~20 max)
- Central Location
Full details of the Chinese Language Program are available from the program overview. Please note that the Chinese language program offered by the Centre for Continuing Education and the Confucious Institute is for learning Mandarin Chinese.
This Chinese course combined with Chinese 1012 covers:
- Begins the first year of study in Chinese, and introduces about 165 vocabulary items.
- Covers the basics with simple, graded activities on essential topics such as greetings, dates and times, family, and shopping.
- Introduces essential grammatical structures.
- Positions pinyin texts close to Chinese character texts so students can focus on speaking and pronunciation.
This Chinese course covers the following topics:
- Greetings, Family, Date & Time.
- Introduces the verbs 姓 (xìng), 叫 (jiào) and 是 (shì); questions ending with 吗 (ma), the negative adverb 不 (bù); the adverbs 也 (yě), 都 (dōu), 还 (hái) and 才 (cái); the particles 的 (de), 吧 (ba) and 了(le); usage of 有 (yǒu) and 二 (èr)/两 (liǎng). Introduces measure words, questions pronouns, numbers (0, 1–100)
This Chinese course is delivered as interactive workshops where active participation is encouraged.
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Textbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified or Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified or Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Character Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
Both simplified and traditional character versions of the textbook and the two workbooks are available, however the simplified versions are recommended. Students can also opt for the electronic versions of the Chinese course materials.
The Textbook is required for this course, while the Workbook and Character Workbook are recommended, but optional.
In addition to purchasing course materials online, students may also be able to source textbooks from our preferred textbook suppliers.
Preferred Textbook Suppliers
The Co-op Bookshop
University Sports and Aquatic Centre
Cnr Codrington Avenue & Darlington Road | University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
P + 61 2 9351 3705 | W www.coop-bookshop.com.au
Become a member and get fantastic benefits that includes up to 9% off books, stationery, University of Sydney clothing and much more.
The Language Book Centre
L 1 131 York Street | Sydney | NSW 2000 (behind the Queen Victoria Building)
P + 61 2 9267 1397 W www.languagebooks.com.au
Take your enrolment receipt or confirmation and a copy of your course outline to Abbeys to receive a 10% discount off the price of the recommended text or foreign language dictionaries for your course.
Need help or advice?
See our common questions or contact us on 02 9036 4789 9am-5pm weekdays. We're here to help.
We can provide corporate training to organisations for many of our courses, including customisation to suit your needs. This can be a cost-effective training option for more than 10 participants. Contact us for details.
Chinese Course 1011: Beginners Standard from the University of Sydney - training courses, short courses, lessons, workshops and classes open to everyone. Enrol in Chinese Course 1011: Beginners Standard and learn with the University of Sydney's premiere provider of short courses and training courses in Sydney - a professional and flexible learning and training development alternative to Sydney TAFE courses and Sydney community colleges - Jason Riley, Operations Manager, Centre for Continuing Education.