Chinese (Mandarin) Course 102: Intensive
Learn Chinese in Sydney with Chinese classes at the University of Sydney. This Chinese course covers Integrated Chinese Level 1, Part 1, Lessons 6 to 10 and is taught over 4 hours per week in two sessions.
This Chinese course continues from Chinese 101 and introduces about 185 vocabulary items.
Full details of the Chinese Language Program are available from the program overview. Please note that the Chinese language program offered by the Centre for Continuing Education and the Confucious Institute is for learning Mandarin Chinese.
This Chinese course covers the following topics:
- Making Appointments, Studying Chinese, School Life, Shopping, Transportation.
- Introduces 算了 (suàn le), 谁呀 (shéi ya), 是吗 (shì ma), 给 (gěi), 要 (yào); adverbs 太 (tài), 真 (zhēn), 就 (jiù) and 正在 (zhèngzài). Time expressions, directional/descriptive compliments, 怎么 (zěnme) in questions, 能 (néng) and 会 (huì). Sentance structures: 一边…一边… (yìbiān...yìbiān...); 除了…以外, 还…(chúle...yǐwài, hái…); 或者 (huòzhě) and 还是 (háishi); 先 (xiān)…再 (zài)…; 还是 (háishi)…(吧) (ba); 每 (měi)…都 (dōu); 要 (yào)…了 (le).
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Textbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified or Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified or Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Character Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
Both simplified and traditional character versions of the textbook and the two workbooks are available, however the simplified versions will be taught in the classroom. Students can also opt for the electronic versions of the Chinese course materials.
The Textbook is required for this course, while the Workbook and Character Workbook are recommended, but optional.
In addition to purchasing course materials online, students may also be able to source textbooks from our preferred textbook suppliers.
Prescribed textbooks should only be purchased after confirmation is received from us that the course will proceed. This usually occurs up to 5 days prior to class commencement.
Suggested Textbook Suppliers
The Co-op Bookshop
University Sports and Aquatic Centre
Cnr Codrington Avenue & Darlington Road | University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
P + 61 2 9351 3705 | W www.coop-bookshop.com.au
Become a member and get fantastic benefits that includes up to 9% off books, stationery, University of Sydney clothing and much more.
The Language Book Centre
L 1 131 York Street | Sydney | NSW 2000 (behind the Queen Victoria Building)
P + 61 2 9267 1397 W www.languagebooks.com.au
Take your enrolment receipt or confirmation and a copy of your course outline to Abbeys to receive a 10% discount off the price of the recommended text or foreign language dictionaries for your course.
- $100 Repeat Class* ($200 for Intensive Chinese Classes)
- Expert Trainer
- Small class size (~20 max)
- Central Location
- Language courses are offered in four semesters each year, approximately in January, April, July and October.
- Try our Language Proficiency Calculator to work out which language level is right for you.