What exactly do you need to do to successfully operate a consultancy business in a very competitive marketplace? This highly informative, interactive and flexible course will answer this question, whilst covering off the essentials to develop a sustainable and profitable consultancy business.
You will learn the 17 fundamental actions that you must adopt. And you will learn what you need to master in strategic positioning, professional services marketing, consultative selling, delivery optimisation, operations improvement, and, talent development. To be successful you must also implement a set of operating guidelines that include a relevant operational action plan, which you will develop during the course.
Topic content will be flexed according to the backgrounds and needs of all participants. ‘Tips & tricks’ (of the trade) will be sprinkled throughout.
- Business Prospects
- Strategy – Value proposition | Business drivers | Differentiators | Critical metrics | Growth (internal, external) | Breakthrough services
- Marketing – Value proposition positioning statements | Market message | Brand building | Pricing guide | New services focus
- Selling – Selling success keys | Selling approach | Consultancy sales process | Specific sales transaction | Proposal keys | Pricing keys | Running a sales pipeline | Buying consultants
- Delivery – Delivery rules | Managing client relationships | Managing the project | Practical operating tips | Presenting ideas | Reporting | Project quality and success | Advanced consulting skills
- Operations – Leverage model | Service quality keys | Intellectual property | Knowledge management | Research sources
- Talent – Personal & staff characteristics | Core practices | The “trusted adviser” | Professional conduct
- Operating essentials
- Developing the business
- Business rules
- Where’s the next piece of work?
- Business plan
- Operational action plan
Presentation, with facilitated discussion, activities and exercises.
Participants will complete an operational action plan as the main course exercise. Each session will have its own activities.
By the end of the course, participants will:
- be able to identify what they need to do to implement the fundamental and mastery actions required to operate a consultancy business in a crowded marketplace
- produce a ready to implement operational action plan.
Consultants (sole practitioners, small boutique) who:
- have been operating for up to two (2) years and wish to establish that they are ‘on track’ for a sustainable and profitable business
- are very committed to launching a consultancy business.
No assessments required, though participants are expected to implement the operational action plan.
A booklist to support on-going business activities will be provided.
Need help or advice?
See our common questions or contact us on 02 9036 4789 9am-5pm weekdays. We're here to help.
We can provide corporate training to organisations for many of our courses, including customisation to suit your needs. This can be a cost-effective training option for more than 10 participants. Contact us for details.
Operating a Consultancy Business Course from the University of Sydney - training courses, short courses, lessons, workshops and classes open to everyone. Enrol in Operating a Consultancy Business Course and learn with the University of Sydney's premiere provider of short courses and training courses in Sydney - a professional and flexible learning and training development alternative to Sydney TAFE courses and Sydney community colleges - Jason Riley, Operations Manager, Centre for Continuing Education.