Making the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in Northern Spain inspired Almis Simans to write his first book. Unsuccessful attempts to get it published led him to follow the Path of the Self-Publisher and in 1999, he self-published “Santiago-walking the pilgrim path” under the business name of "Good Walking Books."
Since then he has self-published three other books about personal journeys, history and folklore and contributed articles to the Sydney Bushwalker Magazine and to the Confraternity of St. James Bulletin. His latest book, “Macquarie's Kingdom”, explores Sydney’s colonial heritage and tells the story of Lachlan Macquarie’s twelve year rule in New South Wales from 1810 to 1821 as well as being a guide book for Sydney-siders, students and visitors.
He sees self-publishing as a challenging, exciting and rewarding journey for the many writers, poets and creative correspondents whose work will otherwise not reach the marketplace. It is open to all folk interested in sharing their written creativity. Self-publishing is an involving and hands-on process that tests our commitment to our ideas and self-expression.
Almis Simans. Class List.
- CJSC-5 Classic Journeys Course: Scotland - A Journey
- WCSY-2 Walking Colonial Sydney Course
- CJVL-1 Classic Journeys: Van Diemen's Land
- CJAO-1 Classic Journeys Course: Alice Spring to Darwin, Overland
- CJAP-1 Classic Journeys: America's National Parks - the Culture and Landscape of the American West
- CJBM-1 Classic Journeys: Crossing the Blue Mountains