Chinese Mandarin Course 1011: Standard (Beginners)
Chinese courses in Sydney. Learn Chinese with us.
If you want to learn to speak Chinese, our Chinese classes are ideal for adult learners to enjoy a practical and social experience while you learn Chinese language and culture. Learn Chinese the smart way with Chinese courses in Sydney at the University of Sydney.
Chinese (Mandarin) Course 1011: Standard (Beginners) covers Integrated Chinese Level 1, Part 1, Lessons 1 to 2 are taught over two hours per week in one session. The content of this course and Chinese (Mandarin) Course 1012: Standard is also available over four hours per week in two sessions by completing Chinese Mandarin Course 101: Intensive (Beginners).
This Chinese course:
- Introduces the first year of study in Chinese, and 70 vocabulary items.
- Covers the basics with simple, graded activities on essential topics such as greetings, family.
- Introduces basic grammatical structures.
- Positions pinyin close to Chinese characters so students can focus on speaking and pronunciation.
- Introduces the Chinese system of character writing---hanzi, as a guide to Chinese literacy.
This Chinese course covers the following topics and grammar points:
- Greetings – exchanging greetings and asking about someone’s nationality.
- Family – Looking at a family photo and asking about someone’s family.
- The verbs 姓 (xìng), 叫 (jiào), 是 (shì) and有 (yǒu).
- The adverbs 不 (bù), 也 (yě), 都 (dōu).
- The particles 的 (de).
- Usage of 二 (èr)/两 (liǎng).
- Questions ending with 吗 (ma) and 呢 (ne).
- Question pronouns.
- Measure words.
This Chinese course is delivered in the form of an interactive workshop where active participation is encouraged.
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Textbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Character Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
Both simplified and traditional character versions of the textbook and the two workbooks are available, however the simplified version will be taught in the classroom. Students can also opt for the electronic version of Chinese course materials.
While the Textbook is required for this course, the Workbook and Character Workbook are optional, but recommended.
In addition to purchasing course materials online, students may also be able to source textbooks from our preferred textbook suppliers.
Prescribed textbooks should only be purchased after students receive confirmation that the course will proceed. This usually occurs around 5 days prior to class commencement.
Prescribed textbooks should only be purchased after confirmation is received from us that the course will proceed. This usually occurs up to 5 days prior to class commencement.
Suggested Textbook Suppliers
The Co-op Bookshop
Become a member and get up to 50% off everything – online, on your tablet or mobile, or in over 60 stores.
Language Book Centre
Take your enrolment confirmation and a copy of this page to the Language Book Centre to receive a 10% discount off the price of the recommended text or foreign language dictionaries for your course.
Participants may also be interested in Business Chinese 1011 (Beginners) which contains the same Chinese language components as the Chinese Mandarin Course 1011: Standard (Beginners) course. Business Chinese Course 1011 (Beginners) also uses the same Chinese textbook Integrate Chinese and has the same language learning objectives as Chinese Mandarin Course 1011: Standard (Beginners). The only difference between the two courses is that Business Chinese Course 1011 (Beginners) contains two additional Chinese Culture Awareness Workshops. Chinese Culture Awareness workshops are not only useful for professional and business people, but also valuable for anyone who is studying Chinese language and interested in knowing more about China and Chinese culture.
Selected Language and Culture courses that teach spoken language may include use of language immersion (course instruction in the selected language) as part of the training strategy.
Courses in Sydney. Open to the public.
- $100 repeat class ($200 for intensive classes) - Conditions apply
- Small class size (~20 max)
- Central location
Language courses are offered in four terms each year during January, April, July and October. Try our Language Proficiency Calculator to work out which language level is right for you.
What others say about this course.
The course was correctly paced and allowed enough time to learn characters as well as learning to listen/speak.
The tutor was amazing. Super friendly and intelligent and made classes fun and engaging.
We had an excellent teacher who gave us the confidence to converse in front of the class by the end of the first term. The course structure is solid and the textbook is very good as well. Will definitely recommend this course to my friends and colleagues.
The tutor was a fantastic teacher – very enthusiastic and encouraging of student participation, and made the class very engaging.