Chinese Mandarin Course 104: Intensive
Chinese courses in Sydney. Learn Chinese with us. Courses open to the general public.
If you want to learn to speak Chinese, our Chinese classes are ideal for adult learners to enjoy a practical and social experience while you learn Chinese language and culture. Learn Chinese the smart way with Chinese courses in Sydney at the University of Sydney.
This Chinese course combines Chinese (Mandarin) Course 1041: Standard and Chinese (Mandarin) Course 1042: Standard. It covers Integrated Chinese Level 1, Part 2, Lesson 11 to 15 and is taught over four hours per week in two sessions.
- Introduces 150 vocabulary items.
- Covers more topics such as talking about dating, renting an apartment, sports, travel and at the airport.
- Continues to build Chinese listening, speaking, reading and writing skills by extending the students' communicative competence through various activities.
- Provide students with a solid foundation in Chinese language and culture which is necessary for further studies in intermediate and advanced Chinese course
This Chinese course covers the following topics and grammar points:
- Dating – seeing a movie and turning down an invitation.
- Renting an apartment – finding a better place and calling to enquire about an apartment for rent.
- Sports – my gut keeps getting bigger and bigger and watching American football.
- Travel – travelling to Beijing and planning an itinerary.
- At the airport – checking in at the airport and arriving in Beijing.
- The adverb 就 (jiù).
- The particle 着 (zhe).
- Kinship terms, numbers over one thousand.
- 的 (de), 得 (de), 地 (de) compared, …的时候 (…de shíhòu) and …以后 (…yǐhòu) compared.
- 多 (duō) indicating an approximate number.
- 好 / 难 (hǎo / nán) + verb, 不得了 (bù déliǎo, extremely).
- 下去 (xià qù) indicating, 还 (hái) + positive adjective.
- 被 / 叫 / 让 (bèi / jiào / ràng) in passive-voice sentences.
- Question pronouns with都 / 也 (dōu / yě).
- Verb + 了 (le) + numeral + measure word + noun +了 (le).
- Duration of non-action, continuation, duration of actions.
- Question pronouns as indefinite references (whoever, whatever, etc.).
- Comparative sentences with 比 (bǐ).
- Continuously descriptive complements, potential complements, directional complements, potential complements with verb + 不下 (bù xià).
- 连…都 / 也 (lián…dōu / yě).
This Chinese course is delivered in the form of an interactive workshop where active participation is encouraged.
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 2 Textbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 2 Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 2 Character Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
Both simplified and traditional character versions of the textbook and the two workbooks are available, however the simplified version will be taught in the classroom. Students can also opt for the electronic version of Chinese course materials.
While the Textbook is required for this course, the Workbook and Character Workbook are optional, but recommended.
In addition to purchasing course materials online, students may also be able to source textbooks from our preferred textbook suppliers.
Prescribed textbooks should only be purchased after confirmation is received from us that the course will proceed. This usually occurs up to 5 days prior to class commencement.
Suggested Textbook Suppliers
The Co-op Bookshop
Become a member and get up to 50% off everything – online, on your tablet or mobile, or in over 60 stores.
Language Book Centre
Take your enrolment confirmation and a copy of this page to the Language Book Centre to receive a 10% discount off the price of the recommended text or foreign language dictionaries for your course.
- $100 repeat class ($200 for Intensive Chinese Classes) - Conditions apply
- Expert trainer
- Small class size (~20 max)
- Central location
Language courses are offered in four terms each year, approximately in January, April, July and October. Try our Language Proficiency Calculator to work out which language level is right for you.