The Art of Good Conversation Course
in this class
Our lives are shaped by the conversations we have: every one of them can open up new possibilities and further horizons. In this course you’ll find out how to start a conversation and how to make it enjoyable and rewarding. We’ll explore and practise these skills and find out how to have conversations that broaden our curiosity and deepen our relationships. This engaging course combines theory and practical exercises and is must for those yearning for more than just small talk!
This conversation course covers the following topics:
- Our lives are made by the conversations we have
- Conversation and happiness
- How conversation can change your life
- Conversational sins
- Conversational virtues
- What we talk about has much to do with where we place our attention
- Sharing and self-disclosure
- Open-ended questions
- Asking the second question
- Enjoying difference
- Relating from your vulnerability
- Conversation in groups
- Conversation as exploration
- Our models of conversation
- Finding positive meanings and benefits in your daily experiences
- Getting in touch with your feelings
- Humour (continued)
- Small talk and how to start a conversation
- Your body language speaks before you do
- Take the risk to be the first to say hello
- Good humour
- Seek conversations with a wider group than your peers
- Good humour
- Encouragement, reframing and perception switching
- Enlargers and diminishers of life
- Receiving a compliment
- Negative capability-suspending judgment
- In conversation we are constructing ourselves
- Remaining eager to enlarge the possibilities of life
This training course is delivered as an interactive workshop which involves group activities which are designed to develop your skills associated with having good conversations.
This course is suitable for
The Art of Good Conversation training course is suitable for those who are proficient in english and are looking to develop their conversational skills. This training course is not designed to assist non-native speakers develop their english speaking skills.
What others say about this course
The course exceeded my expectations. During the course I noticed that the reach of the info/tools given was greater than I had envisaged. This was summarised by Rob in the last session: The principles of Good Conversation are a subset of the tools for a good life. I feel really lucky to have done the course. Thanks Rob for wanting to share your insights.
The tutor was very warm and considerate and had a very engaging way of teaching the course. The course content was excellent, I just wish the course was longer so that we could continue to learn more!
Our lecturer Rob Piggot was exemplary – respectful, informative, thoughtful and passionate. It was time very well spent and I know what I learned will impact many areas of my life in a positive way
A most satisfying course. The interactive nature of the five evenings developed a strong feeling of community, through the art of conversation. Rob Piggot, our facilitator, drew everyone into the methods to greater awareness of ourselves and the people with whom we converse. We, as a class, have plans to meet and use it or lose it.
I found the course very informative, entertaining and thought provoking. It exceeded my expectations. It went deeper into life skills which I found enlightening. Thank you!