Heidegger and Nietzsche offered profound reflections on the question of meaning, the question of being (and non-being), and the questions of purpose and of freedom. We focus on Nietzsche’s attempted ‘overcoming of metaphysics’, his response to the challenge of nihilism in the modern world and his deep debt to the ancient Greeks (especially Heraclitus); we also focus on Heidegger’s recalling of Being; his profound critique of Nietzsche; his engagement with, and critique of, the age of the ‘advent of technology’; and his critiques of existentialism and humanism in relation to the task of finding meaning in the modern world.
- The Question of Meaning and the Question of Being
- Nietzsche on the Question of Meaning (‘Overcoming’ metaphysics?)
- Heidegger on the Forgetting of Being (On the destruktion of ontology?)
- Heidegger’s critique of Nietzsche (and the Overcoming of Nihilism)
- Heidegger, An Introduction to Metaphysics
- Heidegger, Basic Concepts
- Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra
- Nietzsche, Human, All Too Human
- Berry, Nietzsche and the Ancient Skeptical Tradition
- Blond, Heidegger and Nietzsche: Overcoming Metaphysics
- Inwood, A Heidegger Dictionary
- Jesinghausen and Burnham, Nietzsche’s 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'
- King, Heidegger and Happiness: Dwelling on Fitting and Being
Need help or advice?
See our common questions or contact us on 02 9036 4789 9am-5pm weekdays. We're here to help.
We can provide corporate training to organisations for many of our courses, including customisation to suit your needs. This can be a cost-effective training option for more than 10 participants. Contact us for details.
Key Thinkers in Focus Course: Nietzsche, Heidegger and the Question of Meaning from the University of Sydney - training courses, short courses, lessons, workshops and classes open to everyone. Enrol in Key Thinkers in Focus Course: Nietzsche, Heidegger and the Question of Meaning and learn with the University of Sydney's premiere provider of short courses and training courses in Sydney - a professional and flexible learning and training development alternative to Sydney TAFE courses and Sydney community colleges - Jason Riley, Operations Manager, Centre for Continuing Education.